(For those just tuning in):
So, way back in early October '08, I made a mask for an illustration project, and it was buckets of fun. Then I made a mask for a Halloween costume. I ended up buying a bucket of clay because that was all I could find. So I had all this extra clay. In December, my sister asked if she could have a mask for her birthday, so I made another.
...and now we're here. I'd been talking about making more masks (if only to use up all that extra clay), and then my roommate suggested selling them at the local theater where she works. She got the gift shop lady to agree, and so I embarked on a merry adventure (and mad experiment) of mask-making. I made three masks over the past week(end), and am definitely hooked.
2/3: The Egyptian Mask. I originally wanted to do a silver design, because I seem to use a lot of gold and warm colors, but that... didn't work out so well. It seems I need better silver paint. So instead, I did a sort of vaguely Egyptian feathered/peacock coloration.
Crayola Model Magic, paper mache, paint, gloss coat
Status: SOLD at GenCon 09